Prince Charles disputes report that he brokered £1m donation from bin Ladens for his charity



CNN

Clarence House, the residence of Prince Charles, has disputed claims reported in Britain’s Sunday Times that the heir to the throne brokered a deal in 2013 to accept a £1million charitable donation from the half-brothers of Osama bin Laden.

The Sunday Times, citing unnamed sources, reported that Prince Charles had accepted Bakr bin Laden and Shafiq bin Laden’s donation for the Prince of Wales’ Charitable Fund (PWCF) despite objections from top advisers at the time.

Clarence House disputed that claim on Saturday, saying the decision to accept the money was made by the charity’s trustees, not Prince Charles.

“The Prince of Wales’ Charitable Fund has assured us that due diligence has been undertaken in accepting this donation,” the Clarence House statement read. “The decision to accept was made by the trustees of the charity alone and any attempt to characterize it otherwise is wrong.”

Bakr Bin Laden is the former chairman of Jeddah-based construction company Saudi Binladin Group. Osama bin Laden was removed as a shareholder of the family business in 1993, when Bakr bin Laden was chairman, according to US court documents.

Osama bin Laden was the leader of al-Qaeda when the network carried out the September 11 attacks in New York in 2001. He was killed by US special forces in an operation 10 years later.

Neither Bakr nor Shafiq bin Laden have any known links to terrorist activities and are not on any terrorism sanctions list issued by the United Nations or the US, EU and UK governments.

According to the Sunday Times report, Prince Charles obtained the funds after a meeting with Bakr bin Laden and accepted the donation, despite “initial objection from advisers at Clarence House” and the PWCF.

PWCF also responded to the Sunday Times report saying that “Sheikh Bakr bin Laden’s donation has been carefully considered by PWCF’s trustees. Due diligence was conducted, with information sought from a wide range of sources, including the government.

A royal source told CNN they dispute Sunday Times claims that Prince Charles personally accepted the donation, that he negotiated the deal and that advisers around Prince Charles had begged him to return the donation. money at the time.

A source close to PWCF said that “after careful consideration of the matters, the directors have concluded that the actions of one member of the bin Laden family should not tarnish the entire family.”

The Sunday Times reported in June that Prince Charles had accepted charitable donations in the form of cash from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, the former Prime Minister of Qatar, between 2011 and 2015. Clarence House reported also disputed the details of the June report. and said the “correct processes” had been followed in terms of accepting the donation.

Comments are closed.